What makes me unique?
1. Visual Learning
My visual learning skills may not sound like something that makes me extravagantly unique, however, it allows me to learn almost immediately. I am able to do something almost perfectly on my first try because I don't just watch what someone is doing, I visualize and feel myself doing it. I think this is something that many people have trouble doing. But, I think it has a lot to do with my mind-body connection, which has improved so much this past year, and began by working out. This has, however, expanded in my everyday activities, and even made me more confident, leading to my next strength.
2. Desire to Try
My desire to try is one of my greatest strengths, mainly because it is something that is learned. I was known in my family as the "scaredy-cat" my entire life. One day, I decided to be different. It wasn't overnight, but for the next year I decided to make it my mission to stop being so scared and just do it. At first this led to me wake-boarding, tree-climbing, and sky-diving, but it eventually spread to my work-life. I am no longer scared of rejection or being shut down and told no. That is the worst thing that can happen, I realized! And then you just get back up and keep trying. And trying is what I love to do. I've even made it one of my life goals to always try something at least once.
3. Efficiency
This skill is something I would say I was inherently born with, though I wouldn't say it is necessarily a strength in every aspect of my life. From the time I was born, I've done everything as swiftly as I could. And to this day, I make every decision as a calculation of time. Whether it's an assignment or project, or simply which parts of my house to clean and rearrange first, time has always been very important to me. I like to make as much use of my time in the best way possible.
4. Empathy
My entire life I felt beyond my years. I never understood why it was so easy to talk to anyone or know the right words to say. When I was in high school, I began watching a show (the only one on at my grandparent's home in Minnesota whose name I still forget) about a man who solved crimes by reading facial expressions. It was then I realized my ability to empathize. Not only do I get an immediate sense of someone by their expressions, but I can almost feel what they are feeling. This has translated to my friends calling me their therapist or "relationship guru," with even those beyond my years coming to me not necessarily for advice, but just to talk. I believe this will be a very good strength when dealing with consumers. However, I am reading a book now that will help me prevent this from becoming a weakness and allowing employees to walk all over me or take advantage of it.
5. Communication
I'm one of those people who are modernly called "extroverted introverts." Sounds contradictory, right? But after reading about it, it made perfect sense, and I felt I was reading my own autobiography. These extroverted introverts are described as being thoughtful and very in their own minds, though extremely talkative in situations around many people. We love being alone, but excel in environments where we are required to be great listeners and communicators. I'd say I'm a social butterfly who doesn't mind reading alone in my apartment without saying a word to civilization for two days. I'm very odd, I'd say, but I believe it to be a strength because I feel that my words are saved for great and necessary occasions. And though they may be few often, they are many and powerful when spoken. I also have no fear of strangers. As a matter of fact, my boyfriend says we work together so well because oftentimes I easily can speak for both of us (which yes, he prefers, because he is rather introverted towards strangers).
https://youtu.be/yK67C1fvPMQ
Evan's interview summary:
After hearing what my boyfriend had to say, (besides almost being brought to tears), I realized how powerful this assignment was. He didn't just say random adjectives, he really showed me how much he knows about me and how he sees me through his eyes. I do have to say that I did agree with a lot, which I'm not sure is cocky or just being very sure of myself! I am always very happy, and I do truly catch on to things very fast. He also gave away that he never likes to let me down which made me very happy to feel that I had that effect on people.
Nickie's interview summary:
My sister really took the bucket for making me laugh! She definitely knows me inside and out so I wasn't just able to see the good things, I was able to see the accurate things. However, she said something that made me feel so incredible. She said that I don't just make myself better, I make the people around me better by wanting to be better. That seemed very powerful to me. She also ended it with a crack about how I hate when things are over, especially my dinner plate. That is very true.
Lauren's interview summary:
Lauren really just cut to the chase. It was short and simple but made me feel really great coming from my best friend. She said that I'm a hard worker and love to do things for others. I'd have to agree that is true.
Mom and Dad interview summary:
My parents interview together was almost hard to hear because parents brag about you so much that it makes you feel self conscious! However, they did say that I'm not just a dreamer, I'm an adventurer and I turn my dreams into reality. For instance, traveling the country right after I said I would!
Your post was really amazing. The detail and thought you put into completing this assignment was impressive and I think you have described some great qualities. Being a visual learning and grasping concepts very quickly is a great attribute that can be very beneficial in the future. Having the desire to try everything at least once is inspiring because no one should close his or her doors without giving it a try first. Even though I was unable to hear your interviews (something might be wrong with the link you posted), from your summaries, I think everyone had really nice and inspiring things to say about you. Great post!
ReplyDeleteGreat post! I would have to agree that I am also an extroverted introvert as well so don't worry you aren't the only one! I like how you mention the skills you believe you were born with versus the skills you had to work on through years of practice. I think that everyone has natural skills in some areas but have to consciously work on other areas. It is also interesting to note the varying responses you get depending on if it is your parents, best friend, or significant other.
ReplyDeleteThank you for your post Josephine, for some reason I was not able to watch your video on Youtube which I was very eager to watch after reading your post. I like how you always have that desire to try and it will probably take you very far in life. Just like you I also always felt that I was a lot more advance than kids my age when it came to knowledge.
ReplyDeletehttps://youtu.be/6l43gqUBe1k
DeleteThanks so much for telling me me Zajay! I think YouTube processed it wrong. Here's the updated version if you want to watch!
Josephine,
ReplyDeleteI laughed when you mentioned the "extroverted introvert" part because I am exactly the same. I call myself an ambivert. I don't think that you should downplay your visual learning skill because I think it's spectacular. Not a lot fop people can identify their learning style, but you can and you should use that as your strength. I really loved your post; it was detailed and you could see the work you put into it.
Josephine,
ReplyDeleteYour interviews made me believe that you would be a great entrepreneur. I say this because most of your interviewees mentioned that you are capable of helping people around you. As professor Pryor as mentioned, being an entrepreneur is about solving people's problems.