Friday, July 15, 2016

My Unfair Advantage

1. Firsthand Consumer Knowledge
Valuable: I am a consumer who will be buying my own product. I have a severe, life-threatening allergy and I know what people will want because I have to approve.
Rare: I would have to search far and low to find someone to work with me who has the same life threatening allergy and all the experiences I have
Imitable: You cannot fake life experience on personal health issues
Non-Substitutable: This is a very non-substitutable resource, nothing else can replace firsthand experience

2. Academic Knowledge
Valuable: Very valuable to have a degree in business and economics because people trust real knowledge
Rare: Not extremely rare because a lot of people have degrees, but not everyone has a degree at a top rated university
Imitable: I can potentially learn on my own, but you can't really fake a degree
Non-Substitutable: There is no replacement for a degree. Certifications are not equivalent

3. Social Capital
Valuable: "It's not what you know it's who you know"
Rare: The people that I know aren't specifically rare because I can always find a better resource
Imitable: Someone else may know someone who has better access to patents, technology, etc.
Non-Substitutable: Knowing people can't be replaced by anything else!

4. Time
Valuable: I have tons of free time right now to complete what I want. This isn't a side project, it is the only thing I'm doing which provides a lot of speed to completion.
Rare: Not everyone is in college right now who wants to create something.
Imitable: Nothing can add time
Non-Substitutable: People can potentially outsource if they don't have the time

5. Leadership
Valuable: People can manage, but not everyone can lead. Leaders create success
Rare: Leadership is a very valuable trait but it can be learned, I believe
Imitable: You can't imitate a leader, you can only be one
Non-Substitutable: If you're not good enough, someone could always be better

6. Financial Capital
Valuable: It is very valuable to be able to have money to invest in your idea
Rare: Many people don't have financial stability to make investments that can fail
Imitable: Someone else potentially can find investments or loans somewhere
Non-Substitutable: Nothing can replace money

7. Patent Pending
Valuable: Completely valuable
Rare: Only one of every patent, completely rare
Imitable: No one can copy your product if you have protection
Non-Substitutable: Completely original and irreplaceable

8. Management
Valuable: Human capital and very valuable to make your business efficient
Rare: Not very rare, anyone can learn management
Imitable: Pretty able to be replicated
Non-Substitutable: Someone can replace you if you're not doing well

9. Self-Motivation
Valuable: Ensures that your product will follow through and become complete
Rare: Very rare, certain things only motivate certain people. This is mine
Imitable: Motivation is a major driver to doing something, and if you don't have it you can't fake it
Non-Substitutable: Cannot be substituted, it needs to be in place

10. Credit
Valuable: In order to get investments, you need to have good credit
Rare: A lot of people have poor credit and can't receive loans
Imitable: Money cannot be imitated if you can't get loans
Non-Substitutable: If you can't get a loan, and you can't find capital elsewhere, you're stuck

I believe my best resources are either my first-hand consumer knowledge, time, or self-motivation. Altogether, these resources provide me with the best chance and motivation to create a product for my prototypical consumer: someone or anyone who has a life-threatening allergy. Because I am one of the consumers, I know what I need to do to make it marketable. Because I have the time, I can perfect it as long as I need. And because I'm self-motivated, I am determined to make it work. Altogether I think these resources provide a strong foundation to succeed in my venture.

2 comments:

  1. Josephine, it really sounds like you have the skills and resources necessary to drive your idea forward. Your idea is unique and intuitive and therefore has a huge potential for success. I think its great that you developed this product based on your first hand experience with severe allergies. I also think its great that you have already sought a patent. With all of these factor I truly believe you can start a successful business and save lives in the process.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know you personally but I believe that you have all of these things. The issue is finding a partner that meets your requirements. If you have the Social Capital you say you have, then there is no doubt that you can make this work. I hope you the best with this great cause!

    ReplyDelete