Saturday, July 9, 2016

Growing My Social Capital

My New Social Capital:
Akaluck Thatayatikom, MD

1. Doctor of Allergy and Immunology at Shands

2. Domain Expert, she actually studies and recommends which products should be used, and prescribes them to patients.

3. I found Dr T.'s phone number through the American Academy of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology and called.

4. Because they are closed until Monday and I foolishly waited until Friday evening to begin, I was only able to leave a voicemail describing my request to ask a few questions and must await a response. They probably won't request anything. Since she works for UF, I'm sure it will be easy to gain a response because I'm a student interested in her work.

5. This person is going to have a huge impact on my product because she is the person who works closest with life-threatening allergies. If I sell this to her (not physically but mentally), she may have a huge impact on whether or not I will actually go forth and create it!

Charlie

1. Charlie is the physician's assistant to Dr. Baldwin at the Urgent Care near me

2. Expert; though Charlie is not the actual expert, she assists the Doctor who provides her with all of the knowledge she needs to pass on all information required from allergen patients

3. I found this person through my roommate who had gone to Urgent Care when she had strep throat.

4. We spoke over the phone and I relayed my project and idea for this class. She had free time so she didn't ask of anything back, she just spoke to me and answered all of my questions.

5. She already helped me just by telling me information that I was surprised to learn at an Urgent Care!

Brady Cairns

1. Brady is a pharmacist who graduated from the University of Florida. 

2. Supplier of medical equipment and medication, i.e. Epinephrine Auto-Injectors

3. My boyfriend, Evan, gave me contact information for Brady because they are close friends.

4. Brady spoke to me as a favor through a mutual friend. He is really good friends with my boyfriend, and as I've learned, it is best to take advantage of networking through the people closest to you. Also, it kind of allowed me to ask a favor without having to do anything in return.

5. Having Brady in my network is especially helpful if I am looking to have my product available through prescriptions in pharmacies. Brady is very respected in his work and I believe this would encourage his opinion to be taken into great consideration if he suggested my product be purchased by his company.


5 comments:

  1. I think you have succeeded in finding a wide range of people that could potentially help you grow and sell your product. By reaching out to these individuals, I think you have the opportunity to expand your network and meet even more people through these professionals. Even though you were unable to reach one person, I think if she calls you back, you will be able to gain great insight from her thoughts and opinions. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Josephine,

    This is amazing! You definitely completed all of the requirements of the assignment. I think the fact that you got a pharmacist, PA and an MD to all be part of your assignment is awesome. You expanded your network in a way I wish I could have. You definitely should keep in contact with them so that in the future, they can help you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Making connections in this field is extremely important. You are going to have to talk to several health specialists to get their opinion on the mechanics of your product. It is incredibly awesome that you have already begun to network for this project.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your post Josephine, I think you did a really good job and the current plan that you have for providing this product its great. I think you getting a pharmacist is a great idea because they know what the public wants and is in need of so you may be able to discover things about your product that you didn't know they may be of help.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Josephine. I think you are able to exploit the fact that you are a University of Florida student with two of your contacts. This is part of networking in a way. I think it is very cool that you are actually speaking to individuals who can actualize your product and put it into the real life market. Good luck! I hope they return your call.

    ReplyDelete