1) You.
My name is Josephine (Josie) Rosario. I'm an economics major with a passion for nutrition, writing and sketching, which seem odd for the education I am receiving. However, I want to use my skills in quantitative methods, business management, marketing and finance to be able to run a company dedicated to bringing health to people's lives. Im unsure of what exactly that will entail, but for now I see myself working for companies such as FitBit, Onnit, etc.
I believe my business venture plays a huge role in my aspiration because it is a solution for those with severe allergies who struggle in everyday situations. We live in a world that is fast-paced and often ignorant of those who have needs that seem rare, yet these needs are often and come about in situations that are dangerous to them yet seem normal to everyone else, i.e. swimming, golfing, dining, etc.
2) What are you offering to customers?
I am offering a solution to the everyday struggles of an epinephrine auto-injector, called an Epi-Band. This band will encase a small monitor encased in a comfortable wrap around your leg. This monitor will hold four small needles on one end with a medical monitor on the other that will read blood levels 24/7 or whenever you feel the need to have epinephrine on you. For me, with a level 6/6 bee sting allergy, it would be anytime I am outdoors. When the sensor detects histamine levels in your blood stream, it will release the four thin, undetectable needles into your thigh muscle which will immediately administer epinephrine. A second dose will be released if the first does not help histamine levels.
3) Who are you offering it to?
I am offering this product to people with severe and life-threatening allergies. This usually entails those on a scale of 5/6 or 6/6 in the allergy measurement test. However, the demographic truly just engulphs anyone who already has a prescription to an epinephrine auto-injector such as the Epi-pen. This covers all age groups, because allergies are not very selective in certain people. However, I do predict that my band design that comes in specific designs to allow for a fun and unique experience will be for those in a younger age group. Customizing and creating medical products that are carried in fashionable designs usually appeals to a younger customer. Often, I see this with braces, casts, etc.
I am offering this product to people with severe and life-threatening allergies. This usually entails those on a scale of 5/6 or 6/6 in the allergy measurement test. However, the demographic truly just engulphs anyone who already has a prescription to an epinephrine auto-injector such as the Epi-pen. This covers all age groups, because allergies are not very selective in certain people. However, I do predict that my band design that comes in specific designs to allow for a fun and unique experience will be for those in a younger age group. Customizing and creating medical products that are carried in fashionable designs usually appeals to a younger customer. Often, I see this with braces, casts, etc.
4) Why do they care?
This kind of immediate detection->administration that my Epi-Band offers will take out the possibility of human error regarding the carrying of the Epi-pen and the way it is administered. Because it is attached to you, it may detect histamine levels before someone even knows they are going into anaphylactic shock. People with severe life-threatening allergies begin showing signs of anaphylaxis almost immediately, sometimes in less than 60 seconds, and timing is everything. The longer they wait, the longer they have to pay for medical bills in the hospital to do what the Epi-pen could have done early on, because anaphylaxis worsens all symptoms and causes a string of other issues as it continues to push the body towards death. The time utility for the Epi-Band is unbeatable, and enhances chance of survival by 100% for those who cannot even find their Epi-pen and are far from a hospital. Who wouldn't pay for a life-saving device when they're already paying for the old model epi-pen?
This kind of immediate detection->administration that my Epi-Band offers will take out the possibility of human error regarding the carrying of the Epi-pen and the way it is administered. Because it is attached to you, it may detect histamine levels before someone even knows they are going into anaphylactic shock. People with severe life-threatening allergies begin showing signs of anaphylaxis almost immediately, sometimes in less than 60 seconds, and timing is everything. The longer they wait, the longer they have to pay for medical bills in the hospital to do what the Epi-pen could have done early on, because anaphylaxis worsens all symptoms and causes a string of other issues as it continues to push the body towards death. The time utility for the Epi-Band is unbeatable, and enhances chance of survival by 100% for those who cannot even find their Epi-pen and are far from a hospital. Who wouldn't pay for a life-saving device when they're already paying for the old model epi-pen?
5) What are your core competencies?
My product is separate from what's out there because it is the ONLY other epinephrine product on the market. As of now, there is one distinct model of an epinephrine auto-injector and it is the common pen-like model that encases a long needle and requires manual injection. Often, people even inject themselves with the wrong end, and the needle ends up piercing through their entire thumb. My product takes out any and all human error regarding administration and even the human error of forgetting or misplacing the modern epinephrine auto-injector. The Epi-band will change the way people live with their severe allergies on a day-to-day basis.
Summary
I believe my Epi-band has the potential to change people's lives. It is not only innovative, it is risk-free and emphasizes a normal life for those who feel theirs were cut short. Quality of life matters, and with the benefits and possibilities that my product offers, people will be able to take advantage of a solution that takes away fear of living and allows them to partake in situations they never thought they could before. My next step is to look into the technology costs that will go into this. However, microchips and blood sensors are often seen in diabetes patients who wear insulin needles everyday. With updated technology, I believe we could take this further without bearing the burden of price on the consumer. Furthermore, I believe this product has strong potential to be reimbursed by insurance companies.
Hi Josephine, thank you for your post I found it very interesting. I don't suffer from any allergies but I know many people that suffer from food allergies as well as other allergies such as pollen. In cases like the ones I listed will it help them as well? How will your product be able to know that they are in need of the medication?
ReplyDeleteYour post was very interesting, very detailed, and really well thought out. You seem to have a really good handle on the topic at hand as well as the details involved with your opportunity and your solution. Having an allergy yourself really gives you a better handle on the severity of this issue and the need for a better solution. Additionally, I enjoyed reading the part about your major as well as your future aspirations. Not many people are able to think that far into the future and really pinpoint what they want to do. I think you have a really great idea here and should really pursue it. Great post!
ReplyDeleteJosephine I really like this idea! I enjoyed reading about your personal struggle with allergies because that is why I believe this product could be such a success. The fact that you have personal experience and a personal need for this product means you will know exactly what your target audience also desires. The idea with making this product so convenient to use in daily life as well as making it fashionable/ trendy will really help this product stand out from other competing products such as the regular epi pen.
ReplyDeleteHi Josephine. I think that your intention to work for a company such as fitbit is super cool! I literally just got the zip a few weeks ago and it has been such a life changer to plug my meals into my app and realize how bad I was eating. While I personally don't have any allergies, my cousin does to tree nuts I think. He wears the bracelet and his parents scan every single food item to ensure that nothing happens. But should something happen, I think your pen would be helpful in this situation.
ReplyDeleteGreat idea! This product really sounds like a convenient and effective alternative the standard epi-pen. When I worked at a day camp for the last two summers I had to look after a ton of kids with allergies. Thankfully I didn't see any reactions but I honestly don't know how well I would have been able to identify and combat one if there was an incident. This product would make the process simple and automatic. I can see how this product would be very popular for children, who are not as careful about avoiding the things they are allergic to. Someone should definitely make these!
ReplyDelete