1. Hypothesis:
Victims to life-threatening allergies are unable to properly function in a world where any minute they could go into anaphylactic shock because epi-pens are not an efficient drug to carry around 24/7.
2 & 3. Who, What, Why and Explanations
The Who:
People who have life-threatening allergies
This need is pretty secluded to this "who" group. Epinephrine, as I've learned is the only drug that can immediately prevent a deathly situation when an allergy victim interacts with that allergen. Epi-pens aren't used or prescribed to any other cause group with any other purpose.
The What:
They are unable to function properly in everyday scenarios that may contribute to their death
Depending on the severity of the allergy, epi-pens may or may not be required to be carried around all the time. Allergies range from food, to venom, to pollen. However, the need for this one drug has remained consistent. When unavailable, an introduction to an individual's allergen could prevent them from functioning in every day situations, such as going for a walk, being near water, being outside in general, going to restaurants, etc. This is so preventative to the victim that it may cause major distress, anxiety and unhappiness in someone's life.
The Why:
The only drug that saves people from severe allergies is epinephrine, which is carried around in a huge, bulky needle called an epi-pen, that can be easily forgotten, misplaced, or hard to find and administer under dire and stressful situations
Epi-pens are not as easy as they seem. They are enormous, scary needles carried around in a large, though compact case. This case doesn't offer much variation, or ensure its presence near the body of the allergy victim. Not everyone has medical training, and it's not as easy as it seems to firmly press an large needle into yourself or another in need.
I am testing my belief that everyone has this problem with the model of epi-pens. I strongly believe that allergy victims all find epi-pens to be easily misplaced and difficult to administer. I also believe that epi-pens are frustrating to remember, though may not so much be the case for people who fall in the life or death category of the allergy.
4. Interviews
Christina - Mother of Allergy Victim
Kristin - Nurse Practitioner
Melanie - Nurse's Assistant
Evan - Severely Allergic to Bees
Jake - Severely Allergic to Peanut Butter
After my interviews, I realized many things I had not even considered before. Kristin explained to me that, not only is it more dangerous to administer an epi-pen too late, but it is also more expensive. Hospital bills for someone in a worse state than when admitted immediately after the allergic reaction occurs. Money is a huge factor for many people when considering their healthcare options and availability.
Another thing I learned really surprised me about our immune systems. It turns out that people with life threatening allergies aren't actually deficient in anything. Their immune system is actually working harder than the average; so, when something enters the body that it sees as a harm, its reaction becomes anaphylaxis because it goes into absolute shock and tries so hard to get it out. I also learned that bee stings are not the most common death allergy. As a matter of fact, it is a tie between peanuts and shellfish. Also, epi-pens aren't just for life-threatening allergies, but can be used for safety precaution for mild allergies. Finally, epi-pens aren't a save all. Unfortunately for certain severities, it is only a sort of "pause button" until they can receive care at a hospital.
These new facts have changed how exactly I see my potential opportunity. Epi-pens as of now aren't even a cure. Not only can I find a way to improve the efficiency of an epi-pen, but I can potentially find something that is stronger or more effective. I believe this opportunity has been around for a while, and has some incredible potential.
I really enjoyed reading your post because I actually learned a lot from it. I had no idea that epi-pens may not be effective for everyone and may actually worsen the situation. I did not know this opportunity existed to this extent and that allergies to shellfish can be one of the most life-threatening. I also think you were able to gain a lot of information and insight from your interviews. During my interviews, I received a few ideas that were helpful, but overall, each interview began to seem very repetitive. I think you have found yourself a great opportunity, if you can find a way to act upon it. Great work!
ReplyDeleteSamantha, I definitely felt the same way! After a while, the basics all seemed repetitive! I tried to branch out to different types of people who had knowledge vs who were affected and that seemed to help the best. Good luck with this week's project!
DeleteHi!
ReplyDeleteIt seems this assignment was highly educational for you. That is great! So not only did you learn more about allergies and how to treat them, you got a better idea on how to help with the epipen. I think that there could be some room for the redesign of the epipen. They are kind of cumbersome and most certainly do not fit in a small clutch.
I do not need one, as I am fortunate to only experience seasonal allergies, but I have friends, both male and female, that have to have one. And they always forget them. They take for granted that they haven't had a reaction for a long time or they hope that EMS can respond quick enough to give them a shot. As far as the needle being large and/or scary...you need a needle large enough to deliver that dosage to your system and when you are in that situation, you don't care about how bad it's going to hurt, you just want to live. I have a co-worker that is deathly allergic to several things and we had to have training on how to deliver the shot if need be, and you basically just stab it in the their leg, "pull the blue (end), stab the orange(end)." If it gets to that point, I don't think very many people are worrying about being gentle.
Here is a link to my post if you are interested:
http://fearlessandcrazy.blogspot.com/2016/05/testing-opportunity-hypothesis-part-i.html
Carolyn,
DeleteThanks so much for your input! I appreciate it a lot, because I should have interviewed someone without any relation to allergies to see how a market without allergies would react to a knew product. You've definitely helped me to realize that I need to, potentially, market my product stronger because many people may think that epi-pens should stay the same. I have never used one myself fortunately, so I have to consider your statement about being in the life or death situation and question, "Would I really even be scared in that moment?"
Hi Josephine!
ReplyDeleteIt's so interesting that you mentioned this "need" because I completely agree. For my job, I had to get my CPR/AED certification and had to learn all about epi-pens and how to properly administer them. Like you said, they are indeed scary! I was very intimidated by one, at first. They are also really hard to administer correctly and an individual needs a lot of practice to basically learn how to do it. My teacher told us that a big error that most people commit is putting their thumb on the wrong side of the epi-pen and end up stabbing themselves with a big needle that can go through your entire thumb. I've always thought that epi-pens should be easier to administer and should bring instructions, kind of like an AED does. I really whole-heartedly agree with your idea and would love an easier and more secure allergy medicine to be widely available.
This is such a good opportunity! Almost everyone is allergic to something so I think this could help tons of people. I learned a lot from your post so thank you for informing me. I believe you're right that this has tons of potential and could be an amazing thing for allergic people and enhance their quality of life.
ReplyDeleteFirst off, this is a great opportunity. It has the potential to help many people. I did not know those facts about epinephrine but it does make sense that it only works for milder cases and not so much for severe cases. I'm wondering if they could make an epic-pen that has three or four needles clustered together so that the needle does not have to be as long and daunting?
ReplyDeleteThis is a great opportunity, one that I would've never thought of..and I have allergies. I do not severe allergies to the point where I've needed an epi pen, but this is amazing. I think you conducted your interviews extremely well. Almost all the interviews were ten minutes long, something that I have not figured out to do. Hopefully you can find a better and less costly solution.
ReplyDeleteThis is a great opportunity, one that I would've never thought of..and I have allergies. I do not severe allergies to the point where I've needed an epi pen, but this is amazing. I think you conducted your interviews extremely well. Almost all the interviews were ten minutes long, something that I have not figured out to do. Hopefully you can find a better and less costly solution.
ReplyDeleteIn recent years I have noticed the prevalence of serious allergies to massively increase. When I worked as a counselor at day camp last summer nearly half of my group had allergies. I was tasked with making sure their received individualized foods and were taken care of if they were exposed to anything they shouldn't be. A fast acting, convenient medicine could have been a huge help, particularly when I was trying to keep track of so many different allergies.
ReplyDeleteI think that there is a great opportunity here. I had never thought about epi-pens being very bulky and generally in the way. I think that the facts that you presented about epinephrine were very interesting and I learned a lot. You conducted your interviews in an excellent way and this post in generally is very impressive!
ReplyDeleteGreat post and great interviews!
ReplyDelete