Friday, May 20, 2016

Identifying Local Opportunities

1. "Can the US Ban Muslims?"
http://infoweb.newsbank.com.lp.hscl.ufl.edu/resources/doc/nb/news/15CEB1CD6BAA2190?p=AWNB

In this article from the San Diego Examiner, the author reintroduces Donald Trump's absurd statement that would ban all Muslims from entering the United States upon his election as president. This statement followed the recent election of Sadiq Khan, a Muslim, as London mayor, who Trump received strong criticism from. Although Trump is nowhere near elected as president, and his statements are merely just words, they have caught the attention of political leaders such as Hillary Clinton and Rudy Giuliani, and also elite educators from Harvard and Cornell. The backing of Trump is completely split, with Cornell professors and Giuliani justifying presidential decisions, and Clinton and Harvard professors claiming him to be outrageous.

The problem here is for current Muslim-Americans. Though still a minority, they consist of a major population, and a ban on those of the same ethnicity is completely degrading and offensive to them. With this kind of government ban, Muslims may protest and speak out against the decision, which could eventually wreak havoc on American communities and economies.

2. "Transgender Bathroom 'Confusion" the Least of the Northeast Florida's Problems"
http://infoweb.newsbank.com.lp.hscl.ufl.edu/resources/doc/nb/news/15CFC486B0BA4610?p=AWNB

The author introduces her piece by describing Northern Florida as a place that is so conservative that almost every political discussion ends in the support of Donald Trump, and every discussion that follows is about transgender bathrooms. Although Jacksonville is the 12th fastest growing city in the nation, it is still behind on the upkeep and modernization within its community and to its own people. However, with its increase in overcrowding and tight hold on Bible ethics, it is the LGBT community that is suffering from lack of change. Republican Mayor Lenny Curry finalized a recent meeting with the same decision that this particular community does not have the right to any anti-discrimination protection laws. The author concludes that it is time for this area of Florida to wake up and face the future, because there is more to be discussed than bathroom issues.

It is clear that the Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender community is being directly targeted here, and completely unfairly. With laws being passed across the country recognizing their freedom not only as accepted but completely normal, this area of Florida is pushing very sensitive limits not only to the community but to the Supreme Court.

3. "Wrong Dates on my AirBnb Rental, How About a Full Refund?"
http://infoweb.newsbank.com.lp.hscl.ufl.edu/resources/doc/nb/news/15CDCA49155B0698?p=AWNB

The story described here is between Michele Palanzo, an unsatisfied customer, and Christopher Elliott, a travel author for Nat Geo Travel Magazine. Palanzo crossed into uncharted AirBnb territory by asking her renter to push her upcoming travel dates a few days back. After confirming it was okay, Palanzo moved all her plans just to find out that the renter decided she no longer would push the dates because those dates were just booked. Because nothing could work out anymore, Palanzo canceled and attempted to get a refun, but only received half. Elliott responds to her story claiming that her circumstances are extenuating, considering the renter had a written response claiming she would change the dates, and she should have fought her case and received her full refund, and the renter's actions should be illegal.

AirBnb has a big problem here. Their company faces circumstances that they have not defined correctly in their policy. Because of this, customers can potentially lose a lot of money or have ruined vacations. Furthermore, the company itself could cause itself a lot of bad rep for not clarifying what needs to be made understood in such circumstances, or they could lose money in a law suit.

4."Legal Pot Industry Descends on Florida as Voters Consider Medical Marijuana"
http://infoweb.newsbank.com.lp.hscl.ufl.edu/resources/doc/nb/news/15CCCD35FA856648?p=AWNB

With medical marijuana soon to come to the countries third most populated state, the marijuana industry has the potential to turn the Florida into one of the largest marijuana markets in the world. However, the introduction of medical marijuana into the state comes with the necessity to change current state laws, which hasn't happened in the past. The article states that the entrance of medical marijuana will not only bring in potentially double of the $4 billion dollars it is estimated to make this year, but it will help millions of medical patients suffering from epilepsy, cancer, and multiple sclerosis. Lawyer John Morgan, however, believes that this effort may still come out with no change, because though Democrats are pushing efforts, Republicans such as Mel Sambler are putting in millions to stop it.

The problem here really stumped me. I'm torn because I want to say the potential candidates for medical marijuana are the ones who have the problem. They do not have medication that is legally prescribed that could potentially help them. However, I think that the economy is another "person" with the problem. This kind of increasing in money flow throughout the economy is incredible for growth stimulation and fluctuation. It is not only motivational but it thrives and creates even more money. To potentially stop this chance because of money pushers who know nothing about medical anything is completely absurd.

5. "Food Allergies Sometimes Fatal, but Epinephrine can be a Life Saver"
http://infoweb.newsbank.com.lp.hscl.ufl.edu/resources/doc/nb/news/15CC78C6D0D7A928?p=AWNB

Food allergies are no joke. According to the article, low level symptoms occur in 1 out of every 13 children, but these tiny rashes, hives and itches can quickly turn into life-threatening reactions. The most life-threatening of all reactions is anaphylaxis, the closing of the throat which prevents breathing and circulation. The only current cure is epinephrine, carried around in a large chunky device to be pressed into even children just two years old. Epi-pens are life saving, but they are sometimes not enough. Children need medical identification and to be taught how to use this medication because their lives could be immediately over if not careful. Although trials are being determined, there is not life-saving treatment yet or prevention method.

This article hits close to home, because I've been carrying around epi-pens left and right since I was young. The problem here is that in the worst cases, people have minutes to spare after have an allergic reaction. Anaphylaxis happens almost immediately, and gives you minutes to inject yourself with this enormous needle that you may not have even brought with you. More people need to take into consideration their surroundings, for people can only do so much to protect themselves from the world. The biggest problem group here is simply the food allergen community. Our entire country values two things above all: work and food. These people with food allergies are forced every day to be walking time-bombs constantly needing to carry around an enormous needle in case their death approaches them. I sound dramatic. But I was the girl who had her blood transfused for 9 hours the day before her birthday because I forgot to carry my epi-pen that day. There has to be a better way.

6 comments:

  1. Each of the articles you chose raised some very interesting points. I am especially in the article about Airbnb because my family travels a lot and because we are a family of five, it is difficult for us to find hotels. Therefore, we find ourselves using Airbnb more and more with each vacation. That incident has the potential to really affect this company and I am interested in what the future holds. Additionally, the article about food allergies is truly shocking. I have a family friend who is deathly allergic to nuts and when our families were trying to find a restaurant to eat at, his father had to go into each place and make sure they did not use nuts, before we could even enter. I could not imagine living my life scared every second that I am going to have a life threatening allergic reaction. My heart truly goes out to all these people and I hope one day there can be a better cure than a large needle and a few seconds to save someone's life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed reading all your post and they are definitely very important problems and decisions that need to be made. I also believe that it is very degrading and offensive to ban any culture of religion. We live in a free country and I don't think anything like this should ever be banned. I believe that we need to be united to each other in order to bring this country forward instead of attacking and putting down cultures that at the end it will only cause division and hatred. In regards to the pot issue I believe that we should legalize it for medical use because it is very helpful for certain illnesses and just like any other drug it has its pros and cons. I believe that if a doctor believes that the side effect will be better if he or she uses pot then I don't see the problem. We need to stop seeing pot as a drug to get high and instead as a potential drug to help with sicknesses.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have some experience with allergic reactions as I was a lifeguard on Clearwater Beach. Many of my co-workers are paramedics who carry epinephrine with them when they are working on the ambulance. It is definitely a scary event when someone has a reaction and there is no epi-pen in sight. I think a possible solution would be to have an implant with epinephrine stored in it that can be released with an iPhone app or other device. I don't know if that's possible but it could be a great alternative to carrying around a large needle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Josephine, I've never slept in an Airbnb mostly because I personally find it odd. However, I do agree that the individual should have received his money back. I also liked the post about banning Muslims. It is a hotly debated topic such as what is going on with the bathrooms right now and it is good to be informed and educated about controversial topics.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Josephine, I found each of your articles very interesting. The epinephrine hits close to home as both my mom and sister have severe food allergies and always have their epi-pens on them. I hope one day soon an alternative solution is found to carrying them around everywhere. The fact that anyone is throwing around the idea of a certain religion or culture being banned from this country makes me sick, we are all human beings and deserve equal rights no matter what.

    ReplyDelete