Saturday, May 14, 2016

Bug List

Our project was to come up with 20 problems in my every day life. Twenty things that bug me to the point that it deserved to make this list of things that need to be solved. Twenty things.

There are almost 7.5 billion people in the world.

According to wfp.org, 725 million of those people are starving. Their everyday worries consist of finding ways to eat, to protect themselves and to find shelter. After five bugs in my own life, I had to pace back and forth for days, racking my brain and trying to find the last fifteen.

They are as follows:
1. Epi-pens that are extremely clunky (as shown) and make it difficult to run outside or even remember to bring everywhere I walk. This is a bug because I'm deathly allergic to bees but hate to workout in gyms and always have to walk to class. If I get stung by a bee, I will die in just a few minutes. I typically always bring it with me, and my friends are always careful, but it is still just a huge hassle in my everyday life.

2. The gas station pumps at the Shell near my home in Weston has broken pump clips that allow you to maximize your time and do other things while your car fills up. This bugs me particularly because my mom has arthritis and it pains her to sit there and hold the pump.

3. The subways in New York are extremely dangerous, and don't allow enough opportunity for people to get on and off safely before the doors begin to close without sensors to re-open, especially in the case people stick their arm through.

4. I can only go to Southwest Rec after 3:30 because I live off campus and it is hard to get a decal. This is completely frustrating because I pay over $23,000 a year to take classes, much of which goes to athletics and I can't park on my own campus to workout, when there aren't even classes nearby that should warrant necessary decals.

5. Students at UF are continuing to go out and drink underage which makes it bothersome to be out and try to enjoy yourself when you are constantly surrounded by police. This is frustrating because it makes students that can legally drink feel as if they must be on their toes and cannot enjoy themselves without worrying about police force.

6. Beats brand headphones recently released bluetooth wireless headphones that constantly break. Myself as well as three of my friends have gone through many pairs, returning and returning them but still receiving awful quality though we paid a ton of money. I don't have the money to buy many expensive things, so when I do I expect the quality to be what I paid for.

7. There are so few options for healthy snacks on the go, especially at gas stations and rest stops on the turnpike. This bugs me because I am on a ketogenic diet for health purposes and food mainly caters to fast junk food. Furthermore, I travel a lot and instead of investing in healthy food chains I have to invest in coolers to bring my own food which takes a lot of time to prepare and manage when ice melts in my car.

8. Archstone apartments, along with many Trimark properties, are provided with extremely thin and non-insulated walls. Not only does this make cold weather miserable and expensive, but it makes privacy a huge issue. I can hear not just my roommates conversations, but my neighbors clearly speaking in another unit.

9. Teachers are not switching over to eBooks, but require you to bring physical textbooks to class. This is a huge problem, especially for health. People are walking sometimes miles to class while lugging pounds and pounds of textbooks the entire way. This can cause spinal issues and major back problems.

10. Blowdryers are necessities for some girls, yet sharing a dorm makes it so difficult to use them in the morning when your roommate is sleeping. This is a problem because some girls really need to get ready and clean up nicely, especially for early morning meetings. However, your roommate may not even be a friend and could be easily angered or lose much needed sleep when an exam is coming up.

11. Scooter engines are completely exposed at extreme temperatures. I can bet everyone is bugged by this, but especially people on the back of the scooter. It takes just a few inches to move your leg back and get a huge burn, when you're supposed to be safe.

12. Street lights aren't activated by scooters. This is dangerous because you often have to get off your scooter to go press the light and leave your scooter running, and it could be stolen. Also, this usually happens when it is late at night, and sometimes near unsafe areas.

13. Library West has no individual lane parking for scooters. Because of this, scooters are often knocked down in a domino effect, which scratches mine and many other scooters.

14. Bay Island is backed up and wrapped around the parking lot on the weekends, with only one window that you can use to get food and which requires you to park (which is impossible). This bugs me because Bay Island has some of the most delicious coffee that people go out of their way to get, but they have such an inefficient and slow process.

15. Petite options are extremely limited for petite girls. This is my biggest problem because it requires me to spend more than the average girl on clothes because they have to be tailored. Furthermore, it is time inefficient because if ordered online, it requires delivery and then alteration time.

16. Important dates such as drop/add are different for nearby Florida colleges. This is a huge problem for students at home for the summer that want to take classes at FAU or UM and also work a job or internship and unsure of what will be available to them within the time frame after classes at UF are over.

17. Trimark doesn't change the locks when leasing a new apartment. Because of this, there is a chance and unsettling mindset that the previous tenant could have made an extra key.

18. My Sears washer machine ruins all of my clothes. It shrinks expensive things or tears apart shirts and dresses that have strings. It's all clothes that say can safely be washed, and makes me so angry because my landlord nor the company will take responsibility.

19. Southwest Rec provides no organized application for basketball games during recreational hours. This is difficult because my friends go in to play and call "downs" (meaning they have the next game), but people sometimes come and claim the court and say it was theirs.

20. Living on the fourth floor of an apartment and sixth floor of a dorm without an elevator (at 100 pounds) makes it so painful to carry up heavy things or many bags of groceries. This is a huge problem because I'm not a big person that eats out which requires me to get a lot of groceries. I don't have the time or strength to carry up a lot of things on my own.

And that was 20. Twenty things that bugged my everyday life, or that I witnessed cause problems for my friends. This list wasn't easy. It required me to overlook the fact that my problems are so minuscule compared to the rest of the world. Furthermore, it made me really go through the movements of my day to observe moments I wasn't only happy. However, it did provide a lot of time to see potential entrepreneurial opportunities, and I think I've expanded my everyday awareness to the world around me.

3 comments:

  1. aye you clearly put a good amount of effort into this article. "This can cause spinal issues and major back problems" lol you're overreacting a little bit to textbooks but its ok i forgive. I haven't even bought a text book in years. I live on the third floor of my apartment so i feel you on carrying heavy things. I play in a band and just leave my guitar amp in my car because its too hard to get up and down the stairs, but if you've been hitting up SouthWest you should have the gains to carry groceries! For the most part I really liked the article, I found this assignment difficult as well. Proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your input, Beau. I actually had scoliosis due to my size in relation to the weight of textbooks I've been carrying my whole life. Talk about crazy, huh? Good luck with your band!

      Delete
  2. Wow Josephine, you definitely put you're time into this post, great job! That stinks about your washer, that is very inconvenient and your landlord should be taking care of that. I can relate to your petite bug, I have to buy "short" jeans and even then I roll them up twice, very annoying. It's crazy to think what bugs us in perspective of what other people are going through like you said.

    ReplyDelete